Saturday, July 26, 2008

Tokyo adventure

So heres what happened in a nutshell.
29 people missed a domestic flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, where they were then going to get on a Singapore Airlines flight to LA.
There was a mad scramble to get 29 teenagers to Bangkok, and then to book them last minute tickets to the Tokyo Narita airport, where they could catch up with their original flight.
I was awake for 3 days, and ended up stranded in Tokyo.
But!... A two day layover is the perfect opportunity to do some exploring and get another country under my belt!
I'm now fairly familiar with Tokyo public transportation, which by the way is incredible! I've never seen so many malls or so many people. Tokyo is expensive, but after about an hour of research and an afternoon of train rides and walking, I have an awesome room in a hostel for about $32. And free wireless.
I'm staying in the Ikebukuro ward of Tokyo, and spent the early afternoon wandering the Shibuya ward, which is a major shopping and fashion district.

Heres exactly where I am:


View Larger Map

Tomorrow around noon I will walk 6 minutes to the train station and board an express train to the Narita airport, which is about an hour away.
After my 8 hour flight, I'll arrive in Bangkok and head to my apartment near the Lumpini boxing stadium, and begin running the Muay Thai program for Rustic Pathways.

3 comments:

Jason Campbell said...

Sorry,
the hostel is just to the North East of all the recorded google locations.
I tried to go back and edit the post to put the Hostel in, but have been unable to do so.

Unknown said...

What an exciting life you lead. I hope you took some pictures to show us.

Jason Campbell said...

baahhh! I haven't taken any pictures!
I don't have my camera! I don't have a change of clothes, or even a toothbrush for that matter. I found out I was going to Tokyo about 40 minutes before my flight, and also did not anticipate a 2 day layover. I considered buying a new digital camera, but mine works well. I've been instructed to buy disposable cameras by certain parties, and may well do that.